Sunday, May 22, 2011

Project #1

I did end up doing the cork board. It was a lot of fun! I don't have a lot of time to post right now. The kids are asleep and I need to shower because once they're up we're meeting up with Grandma to go bowling.

The hardest part about this project was cutting the corks. My helpful Husband was testing out a few knives to see which would be the sharpest for me to use. The winner was the a ~4" saw blade on a Gerber. I was nervous the entire time, afraid that the blade would slip and one of my fingers would bite the dust. Erring on the side of caution prevailed; I still have all of my fingers.

The cutting of the corks took a bit longer than I had anticipated and left my right shoulder achy and my hand stiff. I think roughly 40 corks were cut in half for this project. I could have cut more but I didn't feel like it! So there! I had just the frame I would use for the purposes of this project. During our move, one of our picture frames was mishandled resulting in broken glass. I was excited that I held onto the thing, though, because I was able to upcycle the frame! Bittersweet. For the sake of making sure the corks would fit comfortably, I placed them in the frame without gluing and then took them out in the same order.

Side note: I really need to find a decent enough corner of my house designated for photos. I'm by no means a photographer, so forgive the stuff that shows up wanting to be included in my shots.

I used a glue gun for the corks and buzzed right along, kids notwithstanding.

Progress pose.

As it turns out, I may have been a little too careful placing the corks in their place upon gluing because I ended up with some unsightly gaps. I was willing to forgive these gaps because, well, it's my first time doing a cork board, and I wasn't about to try to pry them off after having already glued them. Especially with the kids around.

Here's the finished product!

Lovely corks. Hand cut. By me!





This ended up being a wedding gift to a couple that I know. I hope they enjoy it!

Another side note: I feel compelled to add here that these wine corks have been accumulated over a long span of time; not all of these were from bottles that I consumed. I promise I do not have a drinking problem! I have an embarrassingly low tolerance for alcohol, actually.

2 comments:

  1. Looks so awesome! Excellent job :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great, Cass!
    My Mom made a HUGE one a few years back and still uses it...she had collected her corks for years for it, and mooched some from our wine enthusiast neighbors too! LOL

    ReplyDelete